Environment, Quality & Process
McKechnie has a strong commitment to the environment and actively promotes internal recycling and resource responsibility programs. These initiatives have contributed to McKechnie being awarded Enviro-Mark® Diamond level certification and receiving AS/NZS ISO 14001 international certification for their environmental management systems.
McKechnie Aluminium is firmly committed to a long term environmental and sustainable future for the benefit of a cleaner and greener New Zealand. Sound and sustainable environmental management is an integral business goal and we acknowledge this by recognising the importance company operations must adhere to with our environmental protection programmes, to the benefit of all major stakeholders and to our position in the local and wider community.
Conscious of preserving natural resources for future generations, McKechnie is the only aluminium extrusion business in New Zealand and one of very few in Australasia to operate a remelt casthouse for recycling of scrap aluminium. Onsite recycling of scrap aluminium uses only 5% of the energy used to produce alumina, and significantly reduces the carbon footprint of importing aluminium logs and exporting scrap. Recycling aluminium does not compromise the quality of the product.
The company works closely with the Taranaki Regional Council and New Plymouth District Council to manage compliance with all resource consents and approvals, and complying with all legal and statutory requirements. Our employees are trained to recognise their environmental responsibilities, and the importance of their individual contributions to the integrity of our environmental systems. Environmental leadership, management and protection are an integral part of our business which promotes and encourages a spirit of environmental consciousness.
Download our Environment Statement below.
Quality Management and International Standards
McKechnie are dedicated to providing cusomers with the highest standard of quality. A series of internal audit processes together with international standard AS/NZS ISO 9001 Quality Management System certification ensure customer satisfaction is exceeded and opportunities for continual improvements are realised.
The most relevant product standards utilised by McKechnie Aluminium include:
- AS/NZS ISO 1866: Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys - Extruded Rod, Bar, Solid and Hollow Shapes.
- ASTM B221: Aluminium and Aluminium Alloy - Extruded Bars, Rods, Wire, Profiles, and Tubes.
- AS 1231: Aluminium and ALuminium Alloys - Anodic Oxidation Coatings.
- AS 3715: Metal Finishing - Thermoset Powder Coatings for Archetectural Applications of Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys.
- Other Standards (i.e. EN, ASTM etc) can be accommodated as required that fit the alloy types manufactured.
Download our Integrated Health, Environment and Quality Statement below.
Aluminium Process Flow
The basic aluminium manufacturing process is as follows:
- Step 1: Scrap Remelt
- Step 2: Log Casting
- Step 3: Homogenising
- Step 4: Billet Cutting
- Step 5: Extrusion
- Step 6: Re-cut
- Step 7: Ageing
- Step 8: Fabrication / Mill / Anodise / Powder Coat
- Step 9: Packing
- Step 10: Despatch
Download our Aluminium Process Flow Chart.
Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental & Quality Policy
- The management of Occupational Health & Safety, the Environment and Quality is an integral part of our business
- Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental protection and Quality is the responsibility of everyone
- We will demonstrate management commitment, leadership and competence in proactive accident prevention, environmental protection, prevention of pollution and continual improvement
- We will strive towards eliminating harm to employees and the environment
- We will provide quality products and service that meets our customers expectations
- We believe in communicating our occupational health and safety, environmental and quality performance
- To establish and maintain management systems to the requirements of Occupational Health and Safety (ACC WSMP – Tertiary Status), Environment (ISO 14001) and Quality ( ISO 9001)
- To provide Managers with personal performance plans and to measure, evaluate and review the Managers effectiveness in workplace Health Safety and Environmental Management.
- To develop, implement and review objectives and targets to ensure continual improvement of our occupational health and safety, environmental including the prevention of pollution, and quality performance
- To provide training to employees/contractors of occupational health and safety, environmental and quality responsibilities and the importance of their individual contributions to our management systems
- To provide appropriate resources to enable maintenance and continuous improvement of the occupational health and safety, environmental and quality management systems
- To monitor and minimise the impact of existing operations to reduce harm to employees and the environment
- To design and install plant, equipment and processes which will minimise hazards and the impact to the environment and improve quality
- To comply with all regulations and legislations stipulated within the company’s Environmental Management System.
- To comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and other relevant legislation, regulations, standards and codes of practice and statutory requirements, resource consents and approvals
- To consult with and actively encourage employees to participate in health and safety.
- To ensure all Health and Safety, Environmental, Quality incidents and injuries are accurately reported and recorded.
- To support the safe and early return to work of injured employees.
- To use raw materials efficiently, manage waste materials effectively, economically recycle materials and byproducts where possible and to conserve all resources
- To design and manufacture products to customers specified requirements
- To involve staff in product and improvement initiatives
- To provide information to all interested parties on our occupational health and safety, environmental and quality performance
McKechnie Aluminium Solutions Ltd recognises that providing a healthy and safe workplace, protection of the environment and quality products and services is imperative to its overall business goals and, in recognising our position in the local community, we will strive towards eliminating harm from our workplace and to our environment.
Download our OHS, Environmental & Quality policy